International Journal of Humanities and Social Science

ISSN 2220-8488 (Print), 2221-0989 (Online) 10.30845/ijhss

Gazi University German Teaching Department 2012-2017 Student Profile
Şerif Oruç

In this study, we have tried to find out the profile of students at Gazi University German Teaching Programme as well as who they are and the outcomes during their education.In addition, we have tried to determine the vocational areas that they choose to work in after graduation. Our purpose for doing this is to focus on the fact that teachers of German are not trained well.One of the most important reasons why teacher candidates of German are not fully trained and qualified is that 75% of the students who attend the programme do not know German. It is seen that the majority of the remaining 25% use German in just daily language whereas some do not have full competence of their mother tongue Turkish and have problems in reading and comprehension. In addition, nearly all of the students who make up the 75% group actually wanted to get into English Departments but started the German Teaching Department because their scores were insufficient. Thus, their motivation is quite low. The one-year preparatory class in the German Teaching Department in which the majority of students have no German is not sufficient for these students to learn German adequately. The four- year graduate programme following the prep class, unfortunately does not compensate for this due to several reasons. As a result, teacher candidates are not trained well. In our study, we have tried to question this in a more detailed way and offered solutions.

Full Text: PDF